Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

Default Audible Difference Between Monitors

On 5/29/2019 8:29 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Neil wrote:
As I see it, the real question is, "So what?" The primary purpose of
monitors is to allow one to manage the sound of their production and
reduce problems with the understanding that it will sound very different
in every environment that the material is played in, regardless of the
hardware used.

I learned to mix on Altec 604s. I listen to recordings that I made using
604s today on modern monitors, and I hear all kinds of things that I never
heard during the original sessions. Squeaky chairs, thumping feet, mechanical
noises from pianos.

So... the recordings I make today, what are they going to sound like in
another 40 years? I hope that people will be playing them back on systems
that are better than we have today. So I want monitors that will get me
as close to that as possible.
--scott

Of course, the ability to record and reproduce is always improving. The
604s had serious limitations with regard to broad-spectrum reproduction,
as you've discovered. That doesn't mean that they weren't useful for
their intended purpose (I saw them used for voice-overs most of the
time). Had you heard the thumping feet, mechanical noises and squeaky
chairs, your options to correct for them would have been limited, as well.

--
best regards,

Neil