Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Old Mackie CR 1604 vlz .... ribbon cable problems?

Phil Allison wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:

Mackie did have a ribbon cable problem at one time and they were sending
out replacement cables, but I don't believe the problem was with the
smaller mixers, only on the larger SR series and the d8b digital
console.

** I saw a few CR1604s that were affected by the bad ribbon cable issue.

A new set of cables was the only reliable cure - one could use spray cleaner and reseat the plugs ( using bench vise) but that never proved permanent.

The problem is that the headers were made by one manufacturer and the cable
sockets were made by another and the profiles on the two weren't quite the
same, so the contact surface area was minimal.

But after all this time I don't remember who made each. If it were me, I
would just buy AMP sockets and crimp them on the existing cable.