Posted to rec.audio.tech
gregz gregz is offline

Default Peerless Speakers

wrote:
On Friday, June 22, 2018 at 3:56:25 AM UTC-4, G wrote:
Julian Macassey wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 07:37:33 -0000 (UTC), gregz wrote:
Can anyone can tell a story about Peerless in Mass. and did it have Danish
roots ?

Peerless speakers were a Danish company and had a good
reputation.

It seems things have changed:

https://www.tymphany.com/peerless/

+ Peerless was founded in Denmark in 1926. In 2000, Vifa, also
+ founded in Denmark, merged with Peerless to form Danish Sound
+ Technology (DST). In 2005, Tymphany acquired Danish Sound
+ Technology (DST) along with the original Peerless, Vifa, and
+ Scan-Speak brands, engineering, products, and technology.

I'm referring to having a plant in Leominster Mass.. There were some
interesting drivers, and also made some for Infinity. Seems like I read
more but forgot. I would have to read all back issues of Speaker Builder
mag to renew what I once knew.

The Peerless plant in Leominster folded around 1984, as I recall. One
of the sales people bought the assets and attempted to restart it
in Amherst, NH in 1986 under the name "Precision". I was hired on as
the technical designer for the company for a period of about a year
shortly thereafter. The emphasis of the line was polypropylene midranges
and woofers ranging 4" to 12" for the OEM market. That concern folded due
to lack or operating capital in 1987. It had no affiliation with Peerless
Denmark, and the products bore little more than superficial resemblance
to the Danish products. At the same time, there was a Peerless India,
which was trying to sell principally tweeters. It had little if any ties
to either Peerless Denmark or Peerless

Dick Pierce

Thank you.

Greg