Bob Smith

"Jerome" wrote in message
om...
Mice just started showing up in my house. I know there are some
devices that emit ultrasonic, mice-repellent frequencies and was
wondering if anyone happened to know what these would be. Was thinking
I'd make a loop, burn to cd(or play on the computer if the frequencies
are too high), and leave on while I'm gone or sleeping. Would this
work? Thanks!

The devices you can buy at the hardware store emit a chirp - they sweep from
25KHz to something above 60KHz, then repeat. Theoretically rodents don't
like the sound. Either the devices don't put out enough SPL or the rodents
don't care. I put some into a space invaded by rodents. Did NOT work.

Far more effective:

0.375 in OD emergency whistle sold at REI mounted in 0.375 ID tubing snaked
into difficult to reach spaces. Use approximately 20 to 40 PSI from an air
compressor. Wear hearing protection. This will make them exit the immediate
area. They will return so other means are necessary to eradicate them.

Snaps with peanut butter. Lots of them. This was very effective, especially
when put in the travel paths and employed with the whistle system described
above.

Bait stations with glueboards. Mix cornmeal and plaster of paris for bait.
It solidifies in their stomachs. Glueboards keep them from travelling far.
You don't want them dying in the walls or ceiling.

Stray cat - the alley kind, already used to catching their own meal and
quite good at it.

..38 revolver - if you are a good marksman this is also very effective - if
not expect increased ventilation from the new holes in the walls, ceiling or
roof. If you have neighbors they may get excited when this method is
employed so check local ordinances first.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos