Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

Default Why use tubes instead of Solid State?

"Eeyore" wrote in message
Geoff wrote:

"Agent 86" wrote
Julien BH wrote:

WHen I hear tracks by the Beatles such as I am the Walrus I can't

help
but think it wasn't about the preamp. Was it through a cranked guitar
amp?

According to Geoff Emerick, it was the console preamps being

intentionally
overloaded as an effect. Being 1967, it would have been a tube

console.

Naa. It would have had to be a valve console. REDD whatever.

As I said elsewhere, EMI had some transistor consoles around that time.

They may have, but per Geoff Emerick they weren't used on a Beatles album
until "Abbey Road". Neither were the new solid-state Studer 8-tracks.

He didn't like the solid-state gear. Interestingly, his description of the
difference was that the tube stuff sounded taut and crisp while the
transistor stuff sounded soft and mushy. Rather different than the usual
stereotypes about tubed vs. solid-state gear, but listening to Abbey Road
against other Beatle albums I can hear what he was trying to describe.

Peace,
Paul