Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] therealroach@gmail.com is offline

Default Why use tubes instead of Solid State?

On Jul 10, 2:43 pm, Julien BH wrote:
On Jul 10, 1:33 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

In article ,
Roy W. Rising wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Julien BH wrote:

I'm talking about Equalizers, Compressors and preamps here.
Any ideas?

For added distortion.

I'll gladly second that! Of course, we're talking about "nice" distortion,
not that other kind. ;-)

Well, sometimes it's distortion that isn't "nice," when that's what you
need.

And sometimes tube circuits are good because they are free of that
"transistory" distortion. The Forssell transformerless tube mike preamp
is an example.

Really, people get way too hung up about what is inside the box, and they
spend too little time listening to it and figuring out what it really
sounds like.

Maybe it's because most "music store staff" I know of here in Canada
are total dumbasses and won't let you listen to the equipment without
a severe look. (hear: If you try you BUY, else get out). I'd so love
to have all that equipment to use at will (please don't tell me to
rent them, it'll cost me a fortune). That way I'd know what I'd need.
But now I'll listen to you guys, still better than nothing. Normally
what would you recommend as a preamp if I like a touch of tube
distortion in my vocals? Under 1K please...

TL Audio has a model called the "5001". It has four valve pre's in one
2U rack. If you're specifically looking for that soft fuzz on your
inputs then this is your box for $1000 Cdn. It's received decent
reviews and i've used it frequently at a studio that also has
Millenia, Great River, and Focusrite Red stuff (the opposite in style
I would say). It's built well too. The pots are smooth, the
construction feel substantial and there is 6-step LED metering for
each channel.

Roach