(Mike Rivers) writes:

In article
writes:

This is realtime, but hey, DAT is no faster! I've tried the upload and then
the WAV converter, but they are not all that fast anyway. About twice the
speed of realtime. So I just go realtime and have zero risk of losing my
data.

By the way, I've just bought a used Nomad Jukebox 3, but I haven't even had a
chance to use it. The minidisc is just so convenient and portable. No
external power or preamps are needed.

By that I take it you're using a mic that requires power that's
supplied from the Minidisk player. True, the Jukebox doesn't provide
"plug-in power" and it's a bit larger than a Minidisk, but I sure
can't complain about the battery life. There's nothing that

Battery life is about two to three hours of PCM recording on a single NiMH AA
cell. The main advantage of MD is that I can carry a bunch of AA cells in my
pocket and replace the battery each time I change media. This is great for
festivals, etc, where you may record all day.

prevents file transfer of recordings in either direction other than
that you need their software to access it from a computer and unless
someone's come up with a Macintosh file transfer program, it's PC
only.

I'm using electret mics (AT853), with a self-made battery power circuit. I
plug these mics into mic in on the minidisc. I don't think there is enough
gain on the line input of the Jukebox to take these. I'm planning on using an
external preamp and A/D (Edirol UA5) but have not got around to this yet.
Minidisc is just too convenient for now.

By the way, what's the media cost on the high resolution Minidisk? How
much time (uncompressed) can you record on a blank disk, and how much
do blanks cost? If they're cheap, you can just file them like
cassettes or CDs, but I don't think they're that cheap yet, so, like
with flash card recorders, you're probably compelled (by cost) to just
have a few disks and recycle them. Flash cards don't wear out (that we
know about anyway) but disks do.

High capacity disks are about $7 to $10. But you can record an unlimited
number of times. I've got four discs right now and I just keep cycling
through them. You can also buy lower density media for about $1 each. I use
these for playback of compressed material, pretty similar to MP3 I think. I
happen to like the removeable media more though.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Richard