Posted to rec.audio.high-end
zibbit zibbit is offline

Default Asbestos in Vintage Speakers (AR 2AX) not so profound, just scary

West,

I don't know how profound it is, but it appears to be a fairly well known
"issue" among technicians that have worked on AR speakers over the years.

Here's what I have learned so far, the first production models of ARs were
produced in 1958 (AR3) according to various sources . The AR 2AX came
later. The pair that I have are date stamped 1966 on the woofer frame.
According to the previous post, laws were enacted in the USA in 1973 to
regulate the use of asbestos (in general). That suggests that dampening
materials containing asbestos might have been used in AR speakers from 1958
through the1960s. Can't speak for other manufacturers...

My interest in this is that I rebuilt my AR 2AX speakers about 10 years ago
and it would have been nice to know at the time that they (might) have
contained asbestos. I don't recall even reading about this in all my years
of being an audio buff, but apparently service techs are well aware of it
due to experience?.

Comments/corrections ?

Your turn...

Here is an interesting thread I found on this topic...
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/arc...p/t-18706.html

Here is a good summary of the history of the AR3 by Steve Hoffman

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...ad.php?t=79618

"west" wrote in message
"zibbit" wrote in message
I have been told and have been reading about asbestos used in AR speakers
(maybe others). Does anyone know when AR used fiberglass that may have
contained asbestos and what circa speakers might contain asbestos i.e. is
there any reference that you know of that indicates which AR model
numbers
might contain asbestos and the year of manufacture?

Any information you might have on the use of materials containing
asbestos
in vintage speakers would be on interest to me.

If what you say is true, your post may be the most profound one ever on an
audio NG. You say they mixed the two very different materials? I am trying
to understand the logic in doing that. In a way I wish you never mentioned
this because now I'm worried.

Cordially,
west