Default Old School, 2 Channel Car Stereo Audiophile? Am I the Only One Left?

"cwlondon" wrote in message
m...
Can anyone help?

I have a Porsche 2000 Boxster S that came with the factory "upgraded"
digitally enhanced system and 6 (?) speakers.

To further improve the system, a dealer in CT meticulously installed
an a/d/s 650 amp and a/d/s woofers in the door. The bass improved but
I would say lots of money later the system is not yet where I want it
to be.

I am thinking about:

A Nakamichi CD 400 to replace the Becker head unit

Replacing or disconnecting the factory in dash speakers splashing up
into the windshield

Focal?

Disconnecting the rear "speakers"

Adding a Milbert Tube amplifier

constructing some sort of "pods" or kickplate modifications so the
speakers can fire more on axis and give me a normal, 2 channel stereo
image.

My car stereo in 1980 sounded MUCH better than anything I have heard
in the last five years.

I dont need DVD, playstations, subwoofers, 170 DB etc, -- just good
clean, musical, non fatiguing, channel stereo sound. To give you
some idea, I like Audio Research tube amps and Magneplanars at home.

Any ideas? Are there any decent dealers in the NYC tri state area?

Thank you and best wishes.

1N

Have you looked into any Macintosh gear, I have also seen some electro stats
somewhere floating around I think they were Mark Levisons. I wouldn't do NAK
for CD two-channel they are more known for superior tape decks. A fine Mac
HU and a tube amp with some electro stats would probably sound breath
taking.

How is your car for dampening road noise, I would think Porsche would
provide a nice silent ride.