Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Default Design for a small tube/valve mixer

Tynan wrote:

The world *is* complex. "KISS" is merely an appeal to
naivety.

Sir, I wouldnt call myself naive(this is the first time
you have said
anything even remotely resembling an insult to me, well,
the 2nd..

I wasn't counting. Not everyone has the same sense of irony.

but I
dont mind. You are helpful and respectful, so I will take
my lumps.) I
just dont take them from assholes who arent helpful at all
and seem to
exist *solely* to insult and drag others down.(you are not
in that
category, Sir)

"KISS" is something I try to apply all aspects of my life.
I had a team
leader in my first duty station(a now defunct Special
Operations/QRF NATO
unit) in Mannheim, Germany that said that at least 20 or
30 times a day.
He was from Lexington, Kentucky, had a long slow southern
draaawl, and
had a face that never showed an ounce of emotion. I first
thought the guy
was just a simple country farmer or something(I grew up on
a farm myself
and have great respect for all the manual laborers of the
country). I
learned a lot about the military, various forms of combat,
explosive
ordinance disposal(EOD), first aid, weapons maintenance,
marksmanship,
and patrol operations from him, and many times laid
cursing his blasted
name while eating mud and muckwater because he had me
doing pushups for
"a reward for being a dumbass"(also many times I thanked
him years later
for taking care of my young green pickle suit ass)...It
was only after I
was 18 months deep in a Special Duty Assignment in Bad
Aibling and after
reading that he had been killed in Afghanistan that I
learned the scope
of his knowledge.. he had a PhD in Biology, and a Masters
in History....I
bever would have guessed! at any rate, I know now that he
was on to
something with that *keep it simple, stupid" phrase of
his.

Why did he think you were stupid? Did you like complicated
things then?

I have been working as a pro musician for a long time,
since before I
could drink legally, and have been recording for a while
too..I have, on
the recording side of things, worked with multi-tracking,
with complex
workflow arrangements so that I could get everything
"perfect", micd
everything amplifying signals with desks that looked more
like the
controls of a spaceship than an audio instrument....but I
often times
find that the simpler I can make something, the better the
result will
be. This is based on my experience, and mine only. I think
that my
disovery of simpler being better in *my* life is not a
step backwards. it
is much more like transcending to a higher level of
awareness and
intelligence.

(again these truths are mine and mine only..I am not
suggesting *a thing*
about anyone else. everyone's path is different.)

But what about the "Stupid" bit?

I am also quite certain at this point of what features I
do and do not
need on this mixer, and while I certainly appreciate the
wealth of
experience and knowledge(quite awe-inspiring to me,,,I am
enjoying
reading each post(save Mcarthys..)contained here, and wish
that I were
half as smart with electronics theory/tubes/EE, etc as you
all are..The
Good Lord just didnt set my life up that way.

I really have no desire for anything extra. at this point
I am quite
confident in my assessment of my recording needs. I do not
work as a pop
engineer, studio engineer, or even as most *classical*
engineers work. I
work my own way..a way that has gotten me criticism from
colleagues,
applause from clients, and a deep sense of enjoyment and
aural
satisfaction from myself...even without the clients, I
would be left with
results that *I* enjoy listening to..this being the reason
why I got into
recording to begin with.

Thank you Sir(and all of you) for your continued help. I
am looking
forward to learning much more from the group, and of
course to having a
solid recording tool.

Solid?!

KISS is open to interpretation, such that anyone can say,
whatever they've done, that it was the simplest option.

A modern BMW is a lot simpler to drive than a Model T Ford,
but it's a more complicated machine.

The simplest pan control to operate would be one with a
linear response with respect to the soundstage, moving
steadily from full left to full right at constant apparent
volume. Such would demand a quite complicated circuit. The
simplest circuit using a linear pot would result in quite a
complicated response from the pan control.

To apply KISS, you first must decide which aspect of the
subject you wish to keep simple. For that decision, you need
some other principle(s). It may appear that KISS is your
guide, but it is merely a cover, either for other ideals of
yours or for an unseen hand that some would call fate.

Democracy is horribly complicated, whereas slavery is
simple, and death is the simplest state of all.

No offence intended...I don't know anyone here, I just
attack their ideas and you can attack mine if you want:
everyone else does...but KISS is vacuous rhetoric.

Nobody makes anything more complicated than they think is
necessary for their objectives. Nobody complicates for
complication's sake.

If you want a simple circuit, fair enough. No reason to
appeal to exalted notions. And what's the "Stupid" all about
anyway? Who's stupid? Anyone who believes differently?

Anyway...do you want to pan or not? There appears to be some
confusion at the trough.

Ian