Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Thompson-Bell Ian Thompson-Bell is offline

Default Design for a small tube/valve mixer

Iain Churches wrote:
Iain Churches wrote:
"Ian Thompson-Bell" wrote in message
Iain Churches wrote:
"Tynan AgviŠr" wrote in message
. 70...
is 80 dB enough for this?
Regards,

John Byrns

With the mics I am currently using, 80dB is good.My current mic pres
have
66, and that is *barely* enough.
OK. So that's me back to the drawing board:-)
Except that my mic pre is to be plugged into the
line input of a console so 60dB is more than sufficient.
Line in of a console - sorry can you explain what that is??

Most stand-alone tube mic preamps are designed to take the
place of the SS mic stage built into the console, some of which
have a separate XLR input for mic or line level, which often
starts at 0dBu or maybe -10 depending on the console.

Got it. It was your use of the term console in isolation that threw mw -
I had visions of some 1950s radiogramophone monstrosity, LOL.

LOL :-) Sorry Ian. Again we are divided by our common
language. In Europe we don't think of a console as a
radiogram. If I had used the term recording desk, mixer
or board it might have been clearer.

Er, I live in the UK! but maybe I am a tad older than you as I can still
remember those old radiograms.

But, surely if you live in the UK you did not know them as consoles?

Iain

You would think so. Maybe the old brain is just getting a bit
tired/confused. ISTR when I was at Neve in the mid 70s we tended to
calli them mixers or mixing desks. The term console was rarely used and
even the Americans had not yet coined the term 'board'.

Cheers

Ian