Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Tynan AgviŠr Tynan AgviŠr is offline

Default Design for a small tube/valve mixer

Eeyore wrote in
:

Ian Iveson wrote:

I have been dipping into the thread occasionally hoping to
find the bit where voicing is discussed. I wonder by what
process an agreement about desired quality of sound can be
reached remotely with a prospective end user who wants
"something special"

Indeed. I'd like to know if Tynan has a particular benchmark tubed mic
pre that he likes already.

snip

Ian (wondering in passing what a pad is...but don't worry,
I'll look it up)

Attenuator.

Graham

Yes, Graham. I like the pendulum MDP-1 mic pres, the VAC RAC(which I guess
a lot of folks have not heard of), the Ampex 300 recorder amps, and Pultec
tube preamps. (of course all the designs ive seen for the pUltec amps were
"one-offs", and never saw any model numbers, unlike the outboard processors
(eq/comp, etc)..which did have model #s)
If I could have the "300 sound" with a touch less noise, id be in heaven.
those sound perfect to these ears.

the VAC RACs are amazing too, but noone has heard of em.

schematics for some vintage things...

http://www.one-electron.com/FC_ProAudio.html

http://www.reevesaudio.com/studiothree.html