Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I think I'd like to know how to disable the power on the firewire port
and just run my wall wart to my 410

it would seem to me if I can remove the juice from the cable the problem
would really just simply not exist

You could open up the computer and see if you can find a trace on the
circuit board to cut. If it's a PC with an external Firewire card, it
would be easy. If it's a Mac, it would be difficult.

Perhaps the thing to do is get a Firewire "extension cord" - opposite
sex connectors of the same type on each end, cut it in the middle, and
re-connect everything but the power leads. Then leave that plugged
into the computer and just plug your devices into the neutered end of
the cable. You'd compromise the shielding some, but you can probably
live with that since you don't have to get certified.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )