Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I find it astounding they accept having to replacethe 20$cable every
month,granted thier cable most likely would be abused more than mine
that only hooks and unhooks a few times each monh
but still that is a huge problem if the cableing is that suspect

The real problem is that that port isn't adequately protected against
electrical mishaps. The cable and connector just happen to be weak
points. This is typical of disposable equipment designed for consumer
use.

In straight audio, it goes back at least as far as the RCA jack. You
could blow a speaker or something else by 'hot plugging' an RCA cable
because the ground connection wasn't made first, exposing a sensitive
input to a nice hum source.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )