Mike Rivers

So when you have an interface which carries both power and signal, you
can have a failure with either the power or the signal and either one
will keep the device from working. Brilliant conclusion!

It sounds like the connector is the guilty party here. But then what
would you expect for a cheap consumer device designed for connecting
to another cheap consumer device? Too bad you can't replace the
Firewire connector with something more robust, but with many devices,
it wouldn't fit physically.

It draws a parallel to one of my favorite peeves, the mini phone jack,
only it's harder to damage equipment by inserting a plug incorrectly.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )