Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Stewart Pinkerton

Default The Catch-22 of Negative Feedback aka NFB

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:59:37 +0100, "Ruud Broens"
wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
: "Ruud Broens" wrote in message
:
:
: we've been through this 'linearity contest' before, here.
: whereas you define it in terms of current amplification,
: i define it in terms of voltage amplification.
: as real-world interfacing in audio is with *voltages*,
: doesn't seem unreasonable...
:
:
: Negative feedback is generally used to make amplifiers more linear in the
: voltage domain. It's a highly sucessful strategy. We sent men to the moon,
: partially based on amplifiers that were linearized with negative feedback.
:
: Where's the beef?
:
they 'beef' is, your banana needs 1K more straightening' than my banana -
why keep claiming it is "superior" ?

Because what matters is the output of the *final* circuit - the banana
is perfectly straight in the opamp, but your tube circuit is still
bendy. The opamp is *designed* to use large amounts of linearising
feedback, something that simply isn't an option with the inherently
much lower open-loop gain of tubes.

http://www.usenet.com