Posted to rec.audio.tubes,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson

Default The Catch-22 of Negative Feedback aka NFB

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
ups.com...
Trevor Wilson wrote:
(a long commentary on my original post, all of it reproduced in full
below)

I never said an amp can work without NFB;

**Yes, you did. Several times, in fact.

that's your desperate spin on
the matter. In fact, I took part in a long thread which determined that
a 300B has about 12-14dB of internal or natural NFB.

**Then why do you persist in claiming that such an amp can exist with no
NFB?

You, Trevor
Wilson, know that what I actually believe is that most amps work better
without *added* negative feedback.

**I KNOW that you just published a bunch of lies and half truths. THAT is
what I DO know. If you want to publish a correction (which includes the
superior linearity of modern BJTs over triodes) then I will support you in
that endeavour.

And I told you so again:

It follows from the argument above that ultrafidelista should choose an
intrinsically linear topology and device which does not require added
negative feedback to 'linearize' the output.

See the "added"? It makes clear to even the rawest newbie what I
intend.

**No, it does not. I deal daily with newbies (and a goodly number of those
who aren't newbies) about the issues surrounding NFB. Most have no idea that
ALL amplifiers use NFB of some type for linearisation. Many more have no
idea that a triode utilises and internal NFB system. You have merely
perpetuated these myths. If you want to explain stuff, then be precise. If
you mean local NFB, say so. If you mean Global NFB, say so. If you mean
nested NFB, say so. Each feedback system will affect any given amplifier in
different ways. As you well (or bloody well should) know.

No one who has been in high level tube amps for more than a
semester needs it spelled out.

**Bull****! I see it every day.

Everyone knows the convention is that an
amp without added NFB is described as having Zero Negative Feedback.

**Piling more bull**** on top, does not make it so. Spell out EXACTLY what
you mean when you speak of feedback and there'll be fewer problems. If you
mean Zero GLOBAL NFB, then say so. As you well know, not all SS amps utilise
Global NFB for linearisation. In fact, they use similar feedback methods to
your triode amps. And, surprise surprise, they often provide many of the
benefits often ascribed to triode amps, without the obvious shortcomings.
But you would not want to actually educate people, would you?

You, Trevor Wilson, cannot fail to know it, therefore you are picking
desperate nits

**Nope. I just get tired of people like you perpetuating lies and half
truths.

-- and giving away your desperation by hysterically
screeching your misleading lie "no such thing as a ZNFB amp" over and
over again, probably more than twenty times (those who care can count
below).

**If you can manage some honesty and accuracy, then I would not nbeed to
correct your mistakes (lies?).

Your problem is that you know I'm right but that you have thirty years
invested in commercially telling people tubes are obsolete.

**You have no idea.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au