dan lavry

Default 16 bit vs 24 bit, 44.1khz vs 48 khz <-- please explain

(Garthrr) wrote in message
Dither clearly doesn't correct quantization error. Dither does change
quantization error into something that is sonically more benign.

Of course it has now occurred to me that I dont know where this dither signal
would be placed since there is no intermediate sample in which to put it.
Eeewww buoy!

Garth~

Lip****z and Vanderkooey from Toranto university have a lot of
articals on the dither subject. As academics they use a lot of math,
which may be difficult reading for some. I wrote an artical for folks
that do not want the math but wish to get some common sense
understanding. Included are plots, both time and frequncy domain. It
is under the suport section of
www.lavryengineering.com and the
artical name is "Do you need 20 Bits". This was written in 1997.
Dither was and still is importent for say 16 bits work.

Of course, if 24 bit format ever becomes a serious release standard,
dither becomes that "gold comb to a bold head"...

Dither is cool, but it is a bit of a tradeoff between dynamic range
and distortions. Noise shaped dither provides some controll over where
the noise gets added (obviously away from the hearing sensitive region
of say "mid KHZ"). This is is much more advanced. If you want to see
that, go to the same place (suport) and check Acostic Bit Correction.

Again, if 24 bits becomes a standard, it all becomes just history...

BR
Dan Lavry