Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Why No Gain Control on Adcom Amp?

On 8/17/2018 1:29 PM, Tatonik wrote:
I have the GFA-535L. For me the level control wasn't convenient enough
to be worth it. The left and right channels are controlled separately.

A lot of people make their own volume controls, but I don't have any
experience with that kind of thing, so I ended up getting one of these
passive attenuators:

https://www.tisburyaudio.co.uk/mini-...e-preamplifier

That's pretty classy for a "pot-in-a-box" but the fact that they use
precision resistors for the gain steps means that they might have taken
care that each step of both channels has equal attenuation. Even a good
quality dual pot can have a variable difference of as much as 1 dB of
attenuation between channels over its range.

Lately I came across this volume control from Nelson Pass that is
buffered but has no gain. Sounds like a good idea, but I haven't had
the opportunity to try one

Those Nelson Pass designs have separate level controls for the left and
right channels, something that you decided against when you bought the
amplifier without them. You really don't need the buffer unless you're
feeding it from a tube preamp with a high impedance output.

: