Kalman Rubinson

Default 78 rpm Turntable, Cartridges and stylus / Few Question

On 5 Dec 2003 17:49:03 -0800, (Sudhir) wrote:

78 rpm Turntable, Cartridges and stylus / Few Question

I am planning to buy a 78 rpm turntable

snip
So the stylus has to be be replaced after may be
600 to 1000 plays.

Play them once and transfer them to hard-disc or CDR.

1 Recommendations from other users, as to which will be a better buy
for me, Stanton type or Flip-Over type ?

Better buy? You answered that in your cost analysis. If you can get a
cheap flip over, it will cost less than the magnetic cartridge.

2 Are there any other brands of Stylus and corresponding Cartridge
which I can use ? If so, please give model #s merchant's name

Look at the Shure and Grado websites for models and dealer
recommendations.

3 Very Important: The Ceramic BSR or Tetrad cartridges
have only a small screw to attach them to the tonearm. Can I
just screw them to a regular (Standard or 1/2 inch capable
tonearm) or do I need special Head Shell ?

Many of them came with a bracket that had the 1/2 spaced holes for
the headshell.

4 Do I need Re-Equilizer to reverse the RIAA curve

No. Just use a regular line input, not the phono input.

I read it 78rpm.com, that it is good to have one and
they want to sell to the visitors a a unit, priced at $290

Haven't been there. Does it apply alternative EQs?

My amplifier has the input jack for turntable, which
am currently using for a Technics unit (play Vinyls), so
assume that even for Cermaic Cartridges (low out-put),
I won't need a Pre-Amplifier.

The ceramics and the magnetics use different inputs.

5 Any other recommendations ?

Try not to be too cheap if you are going to spend a lot of your time
and interest on this effort.

Kal