Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default 12" passive radiator replacement?

On 30/01/2020 3:11 pm, Les Cargill wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Â* wrote:

problem with multiple subs is that unless the subs are located right
next to each other, there will be areas in the room (or space)Â* with
destructive interference and other areas with constructive interference.

That's a feature, not a bug.Â* The good part is that the changing phase
relationships give you low frequency imaging.Â* The bad part is that in
poor rooms, the changing phase relationships give you bizarre imaging
that
bears little relationship to what is on the original recording.
--scott

I looked at subs for ... years. They're all but unbuyable.

I finally gave up and we now have a Logitech 2.1 computer speaker setup
on the big TV. I bought it to fill the gap and never bothered upgrading.
One of my kids had the same model, and I thought they weren't too bad.
Her room has an expanse of hard floor that's not kind to them, but we're
on carpet.

Yeah, it's got a 2-4k bump but it's a TV setup and they hide the dialog
under the foleys these days. No, really - you watch a 1960s movie on
them and it's just fine.

I should get an impulse of that setup.

I ended up buying a 2.1 'sound-bar' for my lounge TV everyday use,
because the sound on the TV purchased to replace a dead one was so poor
I initially took it back thinking it faulty.

Seems that most TVs' native sound today is similar quality to a 3"
transistor radio of the 1970s - presumably in a cynical move to enforce
the purchase of extra gear, or a cop-out promoted by the apparent need
for TVs to have increasing shallow physical depth.

I stick TV/DVD/BR sound through my domestic stereo instead for any
'serious' watching/listening.

geoff