Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default dynamic omni vs condenser for low noise.

On 12/30/2019 2:33 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 12/30/2019 4:58 PM, Tobiah wrote:
It would seem that a dynamic mic has no self-noise, is that so?

You would get better answers if your this-or-that questions weren't
so abstract. Do you want to record crickets in your back yard at
night? Do you want to record a softly picked guitar or mountain
dulcimer at a distance of a foot or two from the mic? Do you want to
record a bagpipe band from as far away as you can get from them?
You'd want a different mic for each situation, and you might have to
eliminate your best choice if you get too much noise. Or you might
just have to move the mic closer to the source.

I record classical guitar into a pair of NT1-A's which go into a
Presonus 18/10 interface. I've never tried a high end preamp, but
these are the cleanest I've used. I can crank up a recording and
boost the treble and there is no noise to be found.

I want to experiment with an omni signal, perhaps to mix with the
dynamics, because I've never owned an omni mic. I've heard it could
make the room sound more open. I need the omni to give me a similar
level of noise with this setup.

I was wondering whether I could get away cheaper with a dynamic,
given that these preamps (they call them XMAX) seem to be very clean.
A condenser that does Omni with the noise specs I'm looking for seems
to put me into another price tier.

The other thing I want to do is record very soft sounds (like
rubbing fingers or palms together) into a palate that I can make
a collage with via a computer program and csound. Low noise and
transparency is the target.

Thanks