Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default The end of R.A.H-E

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 12:48:11 PM UTC-4, ScottW wrote:
ould I dispute that if it were the same thing to all people.
=20
People are different...that's a given. Not sure why that refutes the po=

sition=20
that any difference a person (any person) can repeatably detect is easily=

=20
measurable.
The trick is determining what parameters or combinations thereof is trigg=

ering=20
your detection.

I would like to be able to predict that. Here is one example, however:

I happen to have a serious weakness for Dynaco products, tube and solid-sta=
te. I have rebuilt enough ST-120s in my time such that I do not even need a=
schematic and I can pretty much go directly to the problem based on the sy=
mptoms. Early versions using 2N3055s for drivers sound much like glass-in-a=
-blender despite "good specs." There are no less than five (5) factory iter=
ations of this device from first-to-last, the final being called the "TIP-M=
od" using TIP31/32 drivers and 2N3772 outputs (and a bunch of other stuff).=
If I do a simple rebuild, about 80% of the time, it is fine. 20% of the ti=
me, the cats leave and eventually so do I. HOWEVER - if I match drivers and=
outputs very closely, that problem goes away. In the 80% unmatched success=
es, they outputs and drivers are quite often well over 15% apart. Can I tel=
l you what bothers me? Not in terms that have any clarity to them. Is it re=
peatable - with that unit, absolutely. I usually put in sockets so making s=
uch changes is a matter of moments.=20

And, it is both cats. One nearly 8, one coming up 4 in July.=20

I can tell how well I am doing on a restoration based on how many cats are =
with me in my work room, and for how long as I burn in each item, often ste=
p by step - until the cats stop running away.=20

Test pieces include Kiri TeKanawa, Exultate Jubilate, Emmylou Harris & Mark=
Knopfler, All The Road Running, Leo Kottke, much Mozart and others.=20

Peter Wieck=20
Melrose Park, PA