Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Feeding PC Sound System to Receiver?

"W" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"W" wrote in message

What is the best way to feed a Windows PC sound system to a receiver?
The
intent is to have one receiver be shared by multiple PCs, as well as by

an
audiophile quality Bluray. I want to have a high end 5.1 or 7.1
setup,
but
I also want the PC to be able to use Windows DirectX sound interface to
directly control all five channels. Games played on Windows systems
use
DirectX to control the individual sound channels.

What sort of audio interface is already in the PC?

Many PC's have coax or optical digital audio outputs. They may also have
HDMI video card that usually includes support for 8 channels of digital
audio.

How can a PC game transmit 5.1 information on an optical audio cable when
it
cannot use DTS or Dolby?

It can't do that directly. I understand that some game oriented audio
interfaces may include encoders for that purpose, but I'm not a game guru.

On HDMI, are you saying that most video cards on PCs now also support 7.1
sound?

Yes. Modern HDMI video hardware generally supports 4 stereo audio
interfaces for playback.

I had not realized that. Video cards manufacturers are not
advertising that in their data sheets.

It is implied by saying "HDMI audio".