Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

Default Carts and arms vs. carts and phono stages

On Jun 5, 10:02*am, ScottW wrote:
On Jun 4, 7:53*pm, Boon wrote:

On Jun 4, 4:08*pm, Bret L wrote:

On Jun 4, 1:29*pm, Boon wrote:

On Jun 4, 12:32*pm, Boon wrote:

On Jun 3, 9:38*pm, Bret L wrote:

UL approval applies to mains connections, not speaker connections.

*Even then UL approval is not required for consumer products in the US
except under certain conditions. Many high end audio commercial
products are not UL approved.

*EU countries require a different approval.

I've had three separate engineers tell me otherwise. Nice try..

*I don't see UL symbols on speaker cables or speakers.

This went over your head, I see.

Where did I say the cables would be hardwired? INSIDE THE AMP.

Actually, I said the speakers, but it would be the amp that would not
receive UL approval.

It would be the amp that would not receive UL certification.

Understand now?

*I don't know if there would be a UL rule against a mfr. hardwiring
speaker cables to the amplifier, *or not. I have never had the urge to
do it, and can't imagine there would really be a benefit vs. a good
terminal connection, although the present day terminals COULD be
improved on. It is true that modifying an existing amplifier might
void its UL certification. Whether that would matter is a matter of
conjecture and any agreements, restrictions or ordinances the end user
might be party to.

Well, I do admit to making that mistake. I thought I had said
hardwired into the amp, not the speaker. No wonder you were confused.
So I apologize for that. Scott, however, is not off the hook for his
out-of-line comments.

One hi-fi manufacturer, someone who had a Ph.D. in electrical
engineering, said that he had hardwired his amplification at home on
both ends (in the amp and in the speaker), and it was by far the best
method for terminating speaker cable. He said he wished he could do it
in his products, but he couldn't get a UL approval if he did. Another
engineer in the room nodded in agreement. So what this tells me is
that an UL approval is a highly desirable thing in the elctronics
market,

As a marketing tool it has little value.

And yet I see "UL approved" on marketing copy everywhere.

*You noted yourself that you
had to look and see if the UL symbol was on your gear.

So? You had to look up "UL approval" to make sure you wouldn't screw
this up. And yet you still did.

and it makes the difference between doing something one way,
or doing it another.

*You're really an idiot. As a "business owner" you should have some
experience selling something but you obviously don't.

I obviously do. Just saying "you're really an idiot" just doesn't cut
it. There seems to be a big gap between what's in your head and what
you post. Is it the Aspergers, or just stupidity?

*Have you ever had to obtain product liability insurance?
*You probably never met the min stds of an insurer for sales volume
but if you did, you'd find UL tied to the insurance companies. *Not US
regulatory requirements.

I've never said otherwise, idiot!

Do you find value in your UL stamp? They aren't cheap but I'm sure
they're the only thing that keeps you from burning your house down.

That makes no sense in English, Lionel...er, I mean Scott.

I still can't quite figure out why someone like you, who can't express
what he's thinking into written words, still spends so much time
posting on Usenet. It's like you're in your own little world where
everything makes sense to you, and everyone else should know what's in
your pointed little head. At least Bret had reasonable issues with
what I said. You, on the other hand, seem to be manufacturing some
abstract argument that has nothing to do with what I wrote.

And you think you don't have Aspergers? ROTFLMAO!