Bruce J. Richman

Default Question about Jupiter

Mr. Phillips wrote:

Greg said:

Marc Phillips wrote:
Mr. Middius said:

Sockpuppet Yustabe said:

The best comedy in the world comes not from the United States.

Buddy Hackett was 100% American.

Top 10 all time comedians

10 Mel Brooks

You actually admit you like Mel Brooks? I assume you're talking about
his ancient routines with Carl Reiner and not his sophomoric movies.

I have to admit that I have a soft spot for "Young Frankenstein."

BTW, this list is **** without Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor, and Buster

Keaton,
Americans one and all.

I'd also put Chris Rock, George Carlin, and Rodney Dangerfield on the
list. Andrew Dice Clay is also a personal favorite, but I doubt there'd
be enough consensus for him.

I think Carlin was on the list, wasn't he? I'd definitely include him.
Rodney
would definitely be on a list of the most influential comedians, especially
considering all the breaks he's given to young comedians over the years who
went on to bigger and better things. As far as the Diceman is concerned, I
like him, but he'd have to take a back seat to Sam Kinison. Sam consistently
came up with new material, while Dice kept telling the same old jokes over
and
over. His career took a dive when people caught on and he tried to come up
with new stuff, which wasn't as good. It works in Vegas, apparently.

Boon

I gotta admit that George Carlin and Rodney Dangerfield are among my favorites.
(I've got plenty of vinyl of both).
I still remember seeing the bitts on TV where Carlin used to do the
"hippy-dippy weatherman", and of course, his infamous "7 words you can't say on
TV". And Rodney?s many appearances on the old Carson show (with the same red
tie and tales of woe) were classic. One of his record albums I have is a
perfect "Rodney-type" picture - it shows him reading the newspaper at a bus
stop........while a dog is peeing on his shoes. Naturally, the album is called
"No Respect".

I share you appreciation of San Kinnison - in fact, I was listening to his
recording of
"Wild Thing" the other day. And even though I've heard them a million times, I
still laugh when the Diceman starts going with the Mother Goose rhymes.

My LP/CD collection includes a number of comedy albums by the above and others
from times gone by (e.g. Allan Sherman - of Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah frame
as well as more modern stuff .

BTW, I don't think anybody's mentioned them yet, but I would put in a vote for
the old Second City TV group - John Candy, Eugene L:evy, Martin Short (Eddie
Grimley) and Joe Thomas (Count Floyd , Guy Caballero, etc.) - a great comedic
ensemble. Among the esoterica in my collection is an LP featuring "Count
Floyd" doing his "realllly sceeeery" stufff , and also one of "Bob & Doug
McKenzie" doing their Great White North routine.

Bruce J. Richman