Steven Dillon

Default Mic Questions

"P Stamler" wrote in message
I think ulysses' comments are on the money, especially the part about

getting
rid of the pickup signal and ONLY recording from the microphones.

Hello Paul,
Even if that is something that can be eliminated during mix down? I mean
the amps and the mics are coming in on separate tracks. Getting rid of
one just means not using that track in the mix down... Unless having it
there to begin with somehow causes problems?

I often record guitars in XY, and it gives me a good, naturalistic

recording.
But if you want a bigger-than-life sound, and am not worried about mono
compatibility or radio readiness, try spacing the microphones apart,

pointing
one at the fingerboard around the 16th fret, the other one just below the
bridge. They should be parallel to one another, and equidistant from the
guitar; experiment to find what distance works for you. Again this is NOT
natural, but boy, can it sound big. SM81s can do fine with this setup.

Cool... Sounds like I'm going to have to really spend some time monkeying
around with where I put the mics...

By the way, something very important: what kind of guitar are you

playing --
make and model?

Well, there will be three of them again actually... They all have slightly
diffirent voices.

Huss And Dalton - Custom CM (Rosewood/Englemann) big, deep voice.
Webber - Custom (Flamed Maple/Cedar) thin, fast voice.
Huss And Dalton - Custom CM (Walnut/Englemann) mid range, big voice.

Regards,

Steven Dillon

http://www.stevendillon.com
http://mp3.com/stevendillon