Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Vintage speaker repair advice wanted...

"~misfit~" wrote in message
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Trevor wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote in message

Yep, I've made a few boxes (and have the software to prove it - these
days) so know all about TS params. However, as I alluded to in my
other post - I've seen "10 inch" drivers (for instance) with cones
that vary by around two inches in diameter. As most speaker-buyers
will never need to know what size a replacement driver will need to
be it could potentially be very misleading.

I mean, if your average punter is looking to buy speakers and it's a
toss-up between two different brands, both 3-way with a "10 inch"
woofer (which vary by the afore-mentioned 2" or thereabouts) said
punter might not know that in fact one woofer has 30% more cone area
than the other. After all they're both 10" right?

Frankly it's irrelevant. You can buy a box with a 10" driver for $100
or one with an 8" driver for $10,000. No-one in their right mind
would think the $100 box is better because it has a bigger driver.

So you'd be happy to buy cars defined by their wheel base (rather than
what that wheel base contains) then huh?

How the hell did you get that? Pretty much the opposite of what I just said
above!
Just like speakers, car quality/performance/price has *NO* direct
relationship with size. However a 6'6" person might well take into
consideration leg room, and two identical wheelbase cars may still differ
greatly in front or rear legroom.
I guess you failed logical reasoning at school, and certainly never made the
debate club :-)

Trevor.