Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Zoom H6

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 9/30/2013 2:06 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

George - where did you find response graphs of these little
recorders? I have been searching for such a thing. I wrote to the
Zoom US Office to ask what the response of the H6 might be. In the
owners manual that you can download it seems to have a 120 dB signal
to noise ratio.

Specifications? Haw! Come to our panel at the AES convention. You
really don't need frequency response graphs for the line inputs.
There's no reason for them to be anything but flat except for any
filters you might have switched in. Although frequency response
graphs are commonly provided for "professional" microphones, very few
of those are actually the frequency response for the particular
capsule that you get.
120 dB signal-to-noise ratio is the theoretical limit for 20 bit
recording however there are few devices that, when you combine analog
and digital noise, in practice exceed about 115 dB.

Don't worry about the electrical specs, and to my knowledge there's no
specification for ease of use.

Thanks Mike, but I have been in audio long enough to know that specs are not
the whole story. In this case, however, I am not talking about freq response
of line inputs! I am talking about the built in mikes, which would be the
most subject to a freq response curve. And in fact they sent me some, which
are not sterling, but I could work with them for doing my video sound
recording duties.

Oops - I was going to post them, but they are PDFs, which I can not post in
a newsgroup. If anyone is interested enough, I could Email you the
microphone graphs.

Gary Eickmeier