Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Zoom H6

Peter Larsen wrote:
Gary Eickmeier wrote:

I don't understand the lack of interest in the freq response graphs.

Microphone frequency response is a 3d concept so you need (valid) off axis
graphs to see what really is going on. Some contexts warrants greatest
possible midrange attenuation off axis and some warrants "identical response
off axis". One of these microphones can be equalized to mimic linearity of
some kind, the other can not but it may not always matter, rear- or
side-rejection may matter more.

Oh, it's worse than that. Because the actual on-axis response plots that
you see on datasheets are usually quite fake, and don't even bear much
resemblance to the real on-axis response anyway. They've been aggressively
smoothed. With a handheld recorder you should see some high frequency
aberrations due to diffraction around the case. If you're not seeing them,
the plots are not reliable even on-axis.

It's at the point where when I do microphone reviews, I won't publish a
real plot, because readers who are too used to seeing fake plots panic
and the manufacturers get angry. At the same time I won't publish the
fake plots off the datasheet, because I don't want to perpetuate that
nonsense either. So I wind up with a verbal description in text...