Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Zoom H6

On 9/30/2013 2:06 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

George - where did you find response graphs of these little recorders? I
have been searching for such a thing. I wrote to the Zoom US Office to ask
what the response of the H6 might be. In the owners manual that you can
download it seems to have a 120 dB signal to noise ratio.

Specifications? Haw! Come to our panel at the AES convention. You
really don't need frequency response graphs for the line inputs. There's
no reason for them to be anything but flat except for any filters you
might have switched in. Although frequency response graphs are commonly
provided for "professional" microphones, very few of those are actually
the frequency response for the particular capsule that you get.

120 dB signal-to-noise ratio is the theoretical limit for 20 bit
recording however there are few devices that, when you combine analog
and digital noise, in practice exceed about 115 dB.

Don't worry about the electrical specs, and to my knowledge there's no
specification for ease of use.