Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109

Default The Limits of the LP

In article ,
Steven Sullivan wrote:

As for archiving LPs, why limit yourself to CD format? Get an Alesis
Masterlink or similar

device, encode at 24/88.2 or 24/96 and enjoy all those overtones that can
fit on LP but not
on CD.

As for 'overtones' beyond 20 kHz -- 1) what evidence have you that you
can *hear* them 2) what evidence have you LP would reproduce them
*accurately* and without
significant distortion and 3) what
makes you think they'd remain that way after one or two passes of a stylus?

1) Your argument to Jenn is that cd is superior because it measures
better, so I figured more so would be better still even if you can't
hear it.

2) I read somewhere the ear is relatively insensitive to distortion in
that range. I know, it was Sony explaining DSD.

3) I don't have nickels taped to my headshell.

Stephen