Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

Default The Limits of the LP

"MINe 109" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com

In order to try to get at home the "natural"
sound of violins one must know what violins do sound
like.

This statement is missing so much relevant info that it
is worthless.

Contrary to golden ear dogma, all violins do not sound
the same. The identical same violin does not sound the
same with different strings. The identical same violin
with the same strings does not sound the same when
played by a different person. No player plays the same
every time they play. No violin sounds the same in
different places.

snip childish comment #1

A violin sounds substantiatlly different depending on
where you sit in the room, whether that room is a room
with poor acoustics or whether that room is Detroit's
Orchestra hall. The same is true of entire orchestras,
as I found out when I was a member of a study group that
did a comparison of Orchestra Hall and the Detroit
Symphony's former location, at the request of the
Symphony's Board of Directors.

snip childish comment #2

To paraphrase Mirabel's grotesque error into far better
truth, let me write:

In order to try to get at home the "natural" sound of
specific violins one must know what those specific
violins sound like when played by specific players,
playing a specific piece of music, on a specific
occasion, and playing in a specific place.

I obtain that knowlege on the average three times a
week, and have recordings that match that particular
knowlege.

AFAIK nobody else who posts on this newssgroup or RAHE
can come close. Furthermore much of the time I have the
option of listening seated as a member of an audience,
or while standing as close to the instrument as a player.

snip childish comment #3

However, a few nits
remain. For one, your definition of natural sound is too
specific.

Nonsense. If we're going to discuss whether the sound of a violin as
reproduced matches or does not match that of a live violin, then we need a
good reference.

The nature of that reference has been generally agreed-upon going back to
Edgar Vuillchur's live-versus-recorded tests of the late 1950s, and before
that.

The reference standard for the reproduction of live sound is the live sound
that is being reproduced. Nothing more, nothing less.