Garthrr

Default 16 bit vs 24 bit, 44.1khz vs 48 khz <-- please explain

In article , Justin Ulysses
Morse writes:

Okay, so let's think about the bit depth again. Suppose you have a
loud-ass signal represented by 16 bits. If you move to 24 bits, you
are now able to "more accurately" represent that loud-ass signal
because you can represent an actual signal that falls in-between the
bits in the 16-bit system. But this additional information is NOTHING
more than low-level information.

This is the first time I have heard this. Now this makes more sense to me. I
still dont understand why the info that falls between the 16 bits would
necessarily be low level information but I dont doubt that its true. Perhaps
someone could explain. Thanks Ulysses, thats a step forward in my
understanding.

Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney