Carey Carlan

Default 16 bit vs 24 bit, 44.1khz vs 48 khz <-- please explain

Jay - atldigi wrote in
:

But that's exactly my point: only the -100 component is what you've
gained. The -1 component is not rendered any better than it was
before.

Jay, as I am a person steeped in computer bits but weak on audio theory, I
ask you to explain that statement.

A 24-bit signal offers +/- 8,388,608 possible volume levels.

A 16-bit signal supports only +/- 32,768 volume levels.

Only +/- 128 levels (48 dB) of the 24-bit signal are less than the lowest
bit of the 16-bit (providing lower threshold).

The other bits provide 256 more possible levels between each of the 16-
bits' levels.

Do you disagree with any of the above? It's just math.

Is your argument that this higher precision is inaudible?