Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Simple Audio Test Chamber

Jerry Steiger wrote:
"hank alrich" wrote in message
Chris Hornbeck wrote:

Fourth and post-mortem, it's voice range, so why do you care? Arf!

There must be something critical about the communication link
represented by the laptop. If that's the case, then why not a headset
instead of the computer's mic and speaker?

It's not a laptop, it' more like a PDA or a smart phone on steroids. Just
fitting in a speaker is a problem, since we don't have near the volume and
area available that a laptop has. (We also don't have as much other stuff to
fit in either, but getting room for good audio performance is tough.)

B&K makes an artificial ear system and an artificial mouth that are
specifically designed for testing these things. They try very hard to
simulate off-axis responses of actual human body parts. They aren't
cheap, but they are surprisingly effective.

Also, Nokia has done a lot of research into human body simulation for
testing cellphones. A literature search might bring some of that up.