Posted to rec.audio.high-end
George Flanagin George Flanagin is offline

Default Question re Subwoofer Connections, High-Pass, Low-Pass

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 04:51:13 +0000, JimC wrote:

Any advice or suggestions? Do I need an external electronic crossover to
resolve this issue?

I think even a basic external xover is a worthwhile investment --- try a
cheap one and decide for yourself.

I use an Ashly XR1001 ($US300?) to divide the signal between my QUAD ESL
988s and a Meridian M2500 subwoofer. The Ashly allows you to choose the
corner frequencies of the high and low pass filters, and it also allows
you to choose the degree to which you want the frequency span in the
overlap to be exactly flat, slightly elevated, or slightly attenuated.
This will take care of most of the room abnormalities that Arny mentioned.

I have two other pairs of speakers (Celestion SL700SE & QUAD 12L Active)
that I occasionally use. After measuring, I wrote down the three separate
xover settings on an index card, and taped it to the top of the xover.
Rapid set up when switching speakers is now possible.

Inside the unit (i.e., no front panel control) is a switchable 20Hz high
pass that allows you to filter out the dreadful rumble in many concert
halls, now faithfully brought to us through (SA)CDs.

Regards,

George