Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Question re Subwoofer Connections, High-Pass, Low-Pass

"Dave" wrote in message
wrote in message
Are you sure the two crossovers are related to each other? Does the
sub also have speaker thru-puts as well? Is it possible that the
80/100 filter is part of connecting speaker outputs directly to the
sub and then connecting from the sub to the front speakers? And the
40-120hz filter is part of the low level input?

These filters are similar if not identical on almost all low and mid-level
Velodyne subs, regardless of whether or not they have speaker-level inputs
or not. Both filters affect both sets of inputs. I recall posting a
pretty
similar question here a few years back. Never was completely happy with
the
answer(s). I don't see why Velodyne doesn't just have a variable
high-pass
filter like the low-pass, which affords the user better control when
trying
to integrate the sub with an existing loudspeaker system... obviously with
servo sub like the F1800 which in its day probably cost $2000, cost was
likely not the reason.

Dave

It's a bit more work to have a decent filter on the high side if it is
really filtering the low out before the lines go on to the front speakers.
Though a 6 db one is just probably a coil. The other filter maybe doesn't
get applied to the high outputs? I don't know what a "12db initial 48db
ultimate is but I'm doubting they have a high output 48db filter for the
front speaker outs? Anyone actually seen the schematic on one of these?