Posted to rec.audio.high-end
ScottW ScottW is offline

Default High resolution Recording available on line?

"Cheapskate" wrote in message
In article , George Graves
wrote:

So? The aim of High-Fidelity is to make the music sound REAL in one's listen
room. If it takes certain kinds of distortion to achieve that illusion, then
I'm all for it.

If it takes certain distortions to make you happy, it's not
High-Fidelity by definition. Fidelity: 'the degree of exactness with
which something is copied or reproduced.'

I suggest that this definition depends very much upon
what exactly, is being "reproduced".

If what is attempted to be reproduced is the illusion
of being in the presence of a live musical event, then
I think the use of ultralow distortion equipment has not
been well demonstrated as being critical to the
objective of the reproduction.

Hence the debates between parametric SOTA
reproduction vs lesser parametric performers
but still very successful alternatives.

I suspect some day that the science of psychoacoustics
will yield an envelope of system characteristics for optimum
illusion...and I'll bet it will contain some significant
non-linearities. The GedLee system here seems
to be an early attempt in this area.

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=12465

ScottW