Posted to rec.audio.tech
geoff geoff is offline

Default Microphones

On 22/04/2015 9:17 a.m., Randy Yates wrote:
writes:

I play the sax and would love to have a mic with a boost switch that I
can press when I take a solo. This could simply be a 10 db pad in the
normal case which is removed when the switch is pressed. Just a few
resistors and a switch. Does anyone make such a device? It could even
be built into an xlr shell.

Peter does have a point, I think, although he obviously could
have stated it in more friendly terms.

Is this a mike on a boom stand? Why not use your position (get closer)
and dynamics to bring it up for a solo?

--A working pianist

I'd stick with "play with dynamics" rather than make myself as annoying
as a self-obsessed electric lead guitarist or loud drummer.

Or change to guitar and get an amp that goes to 11.

Or use mic technique (unless bell-mounted) and get a mic with a pattern
that doesn't pick up extraneous signal.

geolff