Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

Default JVC RX-515V Receiver - Blown Center Channel

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:49:13 PM UTC-4, wrote:
james wrote: " You can make the case even just based on the fact that analog has a fairly short life expectancy and digital is forever. "

Nothing lasts forever James. And I did source an identical unit to the above! So I'm back in biz for now.

If need be, I'll keep all my analogs plugged into this JVC, and use the tape outs to the CD in on a modern mostly digital HDMI from JVC or Yamie.

I'm not going to sit by a PC transferring MONTHS worth of vinyl & cassette to digital formats.

I don't disagree with the time issue of transferring analog since it generally has to be done at 1x. I've found that many older music releases are available these days on cd new in the $5 to $7 range. I'm always surprised that I can find some pretty obscure material on cd. About 15 years ago I went through the box of vinyl we still had and was able to find everything we didn't have on cd yet. Even the Neil Merryweather and the Space Rangers albums :-) I don't know how many cassettes you have though so that option may still not be good. Vinyl still has a pretty hard core following. I think most of them are using standalone phone pre-amps to connect to the newer gear.

Mostly I was thinking personal video material when I brought up conversion. You were vague about exactly what you had so I thought maybe some vhs or other analog video formats were involved. If you have analog home "movies" I'd suggest it's worth the time or money to transfer them to digital so you don't lose them.

Digital is forever not because the physical media lasts forever but because a copy of digital media is indistinguishable from the original. So the 100th copy of a cd will be a exact match of the first. A 1 terabyte drive will hold over 3,000 cds in a lossless format. I keep my entire 1,200 cd music collection on a hard drive and stream it to the sound systems. I find we use our personal music collection a lot more with it so readily available.. Browse electronically and play with no more effort than turning on the tv and looking for something to watch.

Most new units have several analog inputs. My yamahas all have 2 stereo analog inputs. If what you have is a turntable and a cassette player then you're covered. It's not uncommon to also have a 5.1 analog input of which you can just use the first 2 as yet another analog stereo input. Any blu-ray player will play anything on cd/dvd/blu-ray you have and it can be connected hdmi.