Patrick Turner

Scott Gardner wrote:

I've noticed that solid-state amplifiers tend to have much
higher damping factors than tube amps. Is damping factor measured the
same way for both types of amps (load impedance divided by output
impedance)?
What's a good minimum damping factor that won't introduce
audible artifacts, and is that minimum number the same for both
solid-state and tube amplifiers?

triode amp without FB can be built to have a DF of around 5,
which satisfies a lot of people.

With around 12dB of FB, their DF can be say 10, or 20.
Other tube amps running in UL or pentode
need around 16 to 20 dB of FB to get the same DF as a triode amp.

SS amps with a total of 80 dB of FB manage DF = over 100.

Once the DF rises above 10, I doubt too many folks can hear any
difference.

Patrick Turner.

Thanks,
Scott Gardner