Scott Gardner

Default What is Q-factor?

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 07:43:17 +0200, "Peter"
wrote:

Thanks for the exhaustive explanation!

That's the nicest way anyone has ever phrased "Damn, you're a wordy
sumbitch, ain't ya Scott?"
Seriously, some people can describe things, keeping it very brief
while being perfectly clear. I'm not that good, so I generally
sacrifice brevity for clarity.

I know what you mean... got the same prob myself But seriously, this is
not what I meant...

And yes, bigger "Q" means more spillover into adjacent frequencies
when you dial in boost or cut at a particular frequency. IMHO, being
able to adjust "Q" doesn't buy you much unless you have an RTA display
to look at while you're equalizing your system. That way, if you see
a wide, shallow dip or peak you need to compensate for, use the larger
"Q" value. If you have a sharp peak or dip you need to compensate
for, use the smaller "Q".

Sounds like high-end stuff for serious audiophiles. I'll just have to go
with the only measuring instrument I've got at the moment: ears. Anyhow, I
don't hear much of a difference by adjusting Q-factor... set them all to max
for now. Changing band center frequency yields way more noticeable
difference.

Thx!
Peter

Yep, that's exactly the effect of using the highest "Q" setting. Now,
when you adjust the center frequency, you're adjusting a lot more
adjacent frequencies as well, so the overall effect is more
noticeable.

Seriously, it sounds like your deck has some pretty sophisticated EQ
capabilites. Once you get everything installed, why not take it to a
shop that has an RTA and have them tune it up for you? It shouldn't
cost much, and the results are a lot better than tuning "by ear".

Scott Gardner