Scott Gardner

Default What is Q-factor?

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 20:29:00 +0200, "Peter"
wrote:

Yes, this seems like it. Q-factor can be set from 1.0 to 2.5 (slightly
different for each band). If I understand it correctly, larger Q means wider
frequency spectrum will be affected by bass/mid/treble boost setting, right?

Thanks for the exhaustive explanation!

Peter

That's the nicest way anyone has ever phrased "Damn, you're a wordy
sumbitch, ain't ya Scott?"
Seriously, some people can describe things, keeping it very brief
while being perfectly clear. I'm not that good, so I generally
sacrifice brevity for clarity.

And yes, bigger "Q" means more spillover into adjacent frequencies
when you dial in boost or cut at a particular frequency. IMHO, being
able to adjust "Q" doesn't buy you much unless you have an RTA display
to look at while you're equalizing your system. That way, if you see
a wide, shallow dip or peak you need to compensate for, use the larger
"Q" value. If you have a sharp peak or dip you need to compensate
for, use the smaller "Q".

Scott Gardner