Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default MOSFET output stage

Don Pearce wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Don't know laterals - haven't kept up. Gimme some numbers and I'll go
have a look.

You're a bit late now they've almost come and gone. Arrived ~ 1980 courtesy of
Hitachi. 2SJ56 and 2SK176 were a classic complementary pair but no longer
manufactured. Equivalent types now sourced by Semelab and Exicon.

http://www.profusionplc.com/pro/gex/...teral%20mosfet

Oh, I thought there was something new going on. They have exactly the Gm
characteristic I was talking about. Here's the thing. Bipolar Gm is
enormously bigger than mosfet, and you can use that in an output stage.

Oh sure. But look at the Hitachi data I posted a few mins later. Look how linear that
curve is especially beyond the typical 100mA quiescent operating current.. Id vs Vgs The
Exicon data sheet doesn't have the equivalent plot for some reason.

The high gm of bipolars is great until you get to a few mA or tens of mA of Ic when it's
crap and that's where crossover distortion comes from. You just can't get rid of it.

Graham