Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] the.audio.technician@gmail.com is offline

Default phase shift audio oscillator 5Hz to 100kHz++

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:36:27 AM UTC-4, patrick-turner wrote:
There is an artical posted here about tubed phase shift oscilators....

Good article. One thing that isn't mentioned, though, is the calculation for
f: = 1/(2π·R·C·ˆš6) (although the nomogram helps).

...unlike so many modern descriptions of anything technical, the old guys could
say a lot, and not leave out very much. I think my father's generation were
better communicators than many of today's website creators...

I concur. I think that people (authors AND readers) were a good deal more
patient back then than they are now. Today, we absorb (or disseminate) just
enough information to IMPLEMENT, but not enough to truly UNDERSTAND. Hence,
the "sound bite" method of teaching circuit theory. Even in educational
settings, truly expository explanations (such as that article) are rare.

The irony that exists between the early and modern ages of electronics is that
today, we have (particularly passive) parts that are quite a bit better than
what was available "back in the day", but what's lacking is the workmanship,
attention to detail, and the "make it as good as humanly possible regardless of
the effort involved" attitude that prevailed during that era.

It's no secret that the best equipment available is being produced on garage
workbenches and kitchen tables €“ DIY'ers combining the best of today's
components with the diligence and perfectionism of yesteryears' craftsman.

Has anyone else built a decent phase shift oscillator with wide range of F?

I guess it would depend on what's considered a "wide range of F". I've built an op-amp-based PSO that goes to just under 1MHz (from about 1KHz). But the tube PSO's I've made were all LFO's for guitar amp vibrato (1-10Hz).