Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Readily Visible Readily Visible is offline

Default Vintage Pioneer SX-838 receiver - UPDATE

martin wrote:
On May 27, 5:57 am, Readily Visible wrote:
When I put the top and bottom back on the unit and plugged in all the
various RCA plugs and speaker wires and 300 ohm antenna, the same
problem reasserted itself, the left channel bugged out.

Then I pulled the top and bottom and set the unit up on its side and it
has been playing all day without a hitch.

So I am thinking the problem is either heat related or position related.

As far as position related goes, this time the unit is standing up on
the opposite side as before, so I think the problem is heat related. As
long as the top and bottom are off, the left channel does not go out.
That makes a problem because as long as the problem does not assert
itself with the top and bottom off I cannot poke and prod and measure.

Got it!

I will simply leave the top and bottom off and put the unit on its side
and live with it.

Gosh this is one you want in front of you, I have been reading the
posts to this and thought I would throw in my half pennys worth. When
I first read your description I was going to say get out freezer
spray, but the fact it started working for hours after cleaning relay
contacts - makes me suspicious of them still.

But it was on its side with the top and bottom off when it played for
hours after cleaning the relays. I was reluctant to put it back in its
proper place until I was sure it was playing okay. It could be that the
relays were fine and the fact that it was open and on its side may have
been the factors that allowed the left channel to play for hours without
bugging out.

Maybe others will have
same experience, if they are not big meaty relays often cleaning is
not good enough, and replacement is only sure fire way of making good
repair. If you are feeling adventurous you could bridge across relays
- to eliminate them from being the problem, until you have found
fault.

I was waiting for the left channel to drop out to try that on the spot
with a jumper to see if that kicked the bad channel back in, but I may
have to jumper it and reassemble it to tell for sure as it only seems to
bug out when the case is fully assembled and it is properly oriented.

Remember it is a hazard if left open no kids near please.
Regards Martin