Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Newbie Qs on Monitoring Overdubs and Choice of Audio Interface

On 6/07/2019 5:22 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 7/5/2019 12:59 PM, Tobiah wrote:
All I ever adjusted with the mixer was the input gain, and that's
available to me on the front of my interface in knob form.

What do you do if the person being recorded asks to hear something
different in his headphone mix?

For simple mixes, an interface with a direct analog input monitor signal
path and a pot that adjusts the balance between the input and the DAW
playback works well most of the time. This is great for a single artist
who's recording himself.Â* While an interface with a screen-driven
monitor mix offers more flexibility which you might need some of the
time, it also has the inconvenience of using a computer and mouse all of
the time.

Alternatively just listen to the 'monitor mix sans vocalist in
question, and slip in ear-cup slightly off ear if necessary !

geoff