Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default Yet Another "Recommend an Audio Interface" Thread

Mike Rivers wrote:

Dale A. Francis wrote:
my assumption was that this project has invested significant cash into
the analogue tape machines! the cost of a used dragon or the otari and
the servicing that is being done is not low end. What is the weakest
link in this audio chain ... the d/a conversion!

Nope, it's still the tape decks, the operator, and the original recordings.

why cut corners to a lower grade digital link after doing all the work
to get the a higher quality analogue?

If it was an ATR-100 and the tapes were recorded with great care, then
it would be worth spending more money. But given the finite budget and
the point beyond which the quality of the digital copy will never improve,
I don't see a "lower grade" A/D converter to be a problem. I think it's more
important, given the return on investment, to put more money into the
tape decks, which really make a big difference, than the converters, which
have very small differences from one to another.

Just because the low end boys believe that there is no difference,
there is!

Sure there is. But how will that affect the outcome?

I got that ringer for you, ... a used Metric Halo uln 2.

How much do you want for it? If it's within the budget, I'll pass it on.

a chain is only as good as its weakest link.
Hank offered the same advice from the same scenario.

And Hand is also a very practical guy. Given the choice of spending
money on a better tape deck or a better interface, he'd go for the better
tape deck too.

Oh, yeah, even if I did sell the old A80 8-track last spring for about
what a used ULN-2 costs. g

Still have the B-67. It's useful for many things, beyond playing back
old mixes. Slapback, yumm...

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar