Shrivel

Default Who fabricates 8 Ohms speakers...? I can't find other except Sony...

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:47:52 -0500, "Faustino Dina"
wrote:

"Shrivel" wrote in message
news
First of all, if the receiver can't reliably drive 6 ohms, I'm not sure
you'd wanna look at it. That's usually an indication of very weak

power
supplies and amplification stages.

So you do not recommend a receiver who only drives 8 Ohm speakers...I'm
right?

Not necessarily. If the unit is adequate for the speakers attached
and you do not have plans to change them with this particular
receiver, then an 8ohm-only receiver is OK. What the lack of a 4ohm
rating or application indicates is an inability to deliver power into
a lower impedance load usually as a result of cheaper power supplies
and output stages. Simply, you have to pay more to get more.

Kal

Yeah... what he said... ;-)

In all seriousness, if I were serious about sound quality and assuming I
could afford something more than the cheapest receivers, I'd spend a little
more and get a receiver that was rated at a minimum of 4 ohms, and insure
that pretty much any except the most demanding speakers could be driven
without clipping or burning up the receiver. But that's just me and we may
not have the same pocketbooks or desires...

I'm also not a huge fan of most Sony stuff either, but that's only because
I've simply been burned by Sony equiptment too many times in the past and
I've learned my lesson.

If you're just getting into home theater, I'm sure whatever you choose will
be a treat. Enjoy it and don't worry too much about the 6 and 8 ohm
difference.